Tuesday, July 26, 2011

You Always Hurt The One You Love

So, David & I recently watched the movie "Blue Valentine" and it completely broke both our hearts - but in a specific individual way for both of us....because despite however much we "merge" with the loved one, we always remain separate, individual, and ultimately alone.

David had a girlfriend long-ago who had an abortion, and he was there with her...I was always terrified of having to have one myself, but never did. But I was there holding hands of friends who did, and it was painful. In all meanings of that word.

And then there's just the routine pain (depicted so well in this movie), of love that gets worn-out over time - how we stop seeing each other and how we forget to love the best thing in each other, or at least want the best for the one that we love the most. And then, how we hurt them.

So....whatever you do, be sure to watch "Blue Valentine" with the one that you love - and hurt - the most!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0A_yg8XjU

You Always Hurt The One You Love
~ words by Allan Roberts and music by Doris Fisher
You always hurt the one you love
The one you shouldn't hurt at all
You always take the sweetest rose
And crush it till the petals fall

You always brea-eak the kindest hear-eart
With a hasty word you can't recall, so
If I broke your heart la-ast night
It's because I love you most of all

You always hurt the one you lo-ove
The one you shouldn't hurt at all
You always take the sweetest ro-ose
And crush it till the petals fa-all

You always break the kindest heart
With a hasty word you can't recall
So-o if I broke your heart last night
It's because I love you mo-ost of a-all

You always hurt the one you love
The one you shouldn't hurt at all
You always take the sweetest rose
Crush it, ti-ill the petals fall

You always brea-eak the kindest heart
With a hasty word you can't recall, so
If I broke your heart last night
It's because I love you most of all...

Other versions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOCCq0gjvrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cTxNlxPasw

2 comments:

  1. This was a great movie, and very sad! I watched it because Howard Stern said it was so great. He and I don't have 100% overlap in taste in movies, but I'm glad he was right about this one (for me). BTW, he also recommends the HBO series "Tell Me You Love Me." I loved it and I think you would too! It's one season only, so a short commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you mentioned that last time we talked on the phone, good stuff! I will check it out and duly report back what I think :)

    Thanks for reading & commenting Phyllis! You rock as always....

    ReplyDelete