Thursday, July 7, 2011

Song to the Siren - whatever it was - it was GOOD

I've loved this song since I first heard it at about 16 years old (I think).

Elizabeth Fraser - all dreamy dance-about-love, mystical can't-remember-what-I-thought, when-I-first-heard this song, but whatever it was - it was GOOD. Still don't know for sure what it all MEANS, but have some ideas & some internet-contributed thoughts about all that too below...with the original sang by someone named Tim Buckley? Have you ever heard of him, me neither, but I apparently know him now. :)

"Song to the Siren"
~ by This Mortal Coil/Cocteau Twins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mUmdR69nbM
On the floating, shapeless oceans

I did all my best to smile

til your singing eyes and fingers

drew me loving into your eyes.

And you sang "Sail to me, sail to me;

Let me enfold you."

Here I am, here I am waiting to hold you.


Did I dream you dreamed about me?

Were you here when I was full sail?

Now my foolish boat is leaning, broken love lost on your rocks.

For you sang, "Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow."
"
Oh my heart, oh my heart shies from the sorrow.
"

I'm as puzzled as a newborn child.

I'm as riddled as the tide.

Should I stand amid the breakers?

Or shall I lie with death my bride?

Hear me sing: "Swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you."

"Here I am. Here I am, waiting to hold you."


I guess this is the original, by Tim Buckley, I never knew before now, but lyrics changed some, as some comments say ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMTEtDBHGY4
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3458764513820543170/

...the actual symbolism and lyrical content is derived directly from Homer's book the Odessey. But it's really a matter of unresponded love. It is also one of the most covered/remade/remixed songs ever.

The real magic of the song is in those last two lines. Singing to the siren who enticed him and broke him, the sailor becomes a siren himself, enticing her to swim out and return to him. Breathtakingly perfect.

In greek mythology sirens are female deities who draws ships to shipwreck. I think this song closely relates to this mythology. Tim makes it sound so mystical and this is one well written song.

I heard james yorkston's version and thought it was good then found out it was a tim buckley song, listened to it and....... WOW!!! so much emotion. we can all relate as well. who hasn't been lured on to the rocks by a beautiful siren, left there and then begged for a second chance. its about falling for someone who doesn't reciprocate the emotion, maybe feeling used at the end of it all.

And Robert Plant's rendition - meh, not so in love with it but he tried ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKaNksCdSI0

No comments:

Post a Comment