Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sylvia

I don't exactly remember what 
the voices were like in my head 
that first semester of my final 
year at the college I was 
so lucky to attend. 
I only remember that I felt distorted, 
trapped in a bad dream 
and scared to death 
during that brief bell jar period. 

But I had so many more choices 
than she did! Was not expected 
to conform to a certain model of 
womanhood: marry a doctor and 
start having armfuls of cute 
babies to fill a suburban home
immediately post-graduation. 

And for this, I should have been 
grateful, I should have been so
excited about the future and 
completely sexually liberated, 
feeling free, confident. 

I should have been having 
the time of my life and able 
to make those next-year 
career decisions, but instead 
I couldn't even concentrate 
on conversations I tried to have 
in the women's locker room among 
those irritatingly athletic voices 
discussing everything to do 
with the trivial & perky present: 
papers we were writing, parties to go to, 
our next game against Cal-Lutheran. 

And at those endless soccer practices 
there was so much exhausting 
movement in that great green 
sunlit expanse, and me just dying 
to be lying down in beautiful 
shadow of nearby trees 
turning toward the dark side 
of my nature, escaping 
the Southern California heat 
and smog and finally coming 
to full sweet rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment