On July 6th, some members of Congress sponsored the introduction of HR 2411, the "Reduce America's Debt Now Act of 2011."
HR 2411 states that every worker in America should be able to voluntarily have a portion of his/her wages automatically withheld and sent directly to the Treasury Department for the purposes of paying down the federal debt. WOW. How do they come up with this stuff?!
"Every employer making payment of wages shall deduct and withhold upon such wages any amounts so elected, and shall pay such amounts over to the Secretary of the Treasury..."
Even better: HR 2411 stipulates that any contribution made to the Treasury in order to pay down the federal debt IS NOT TAX DEDUCTIBLE.
"The [Treasury] Secretary shall include. . . a reasonably conspicuous statement that any amounts deducted and withheld from wages. . . are not deductible as charitable contributions for Federal income tax purposes."
There's a great quote from Atlas Shrugged that I think of:
"[W]hen you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you. . . you may know that your society is doomed."
Saturday, July 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Depressing, which is generally how I feel whenever I look at the news these days. It's so beyond belief. I feel like I should do more, but don't really know what. And per my FB post, which you commented on, it brings me back a bit to college days...you'd think we wouldn't have to be dealing with the same issues 20 years later.
ReplyDeleteWe are dealing with the same issues 20 years later, it's true, only I feel it is worse cuz everyone is so *broke* :)
ReplyDeleteBut I hope you don't let it overshadow some good summer fun you will hopefully be having with family while visiting Seattle. Can't remember your timeline exactly but I hope whether u r there already or are going soon that the weather is beautiful (at least as many days as can be expected) for you!
O.M.G. Just reading this now, but that quote from Atlas Shrugged describes a sentiment that I have been feeling lately.
ReplyDeleteWhat I've been thinking, related to but beyond that sentiment, is that ... how smart are they? These men (and some women) who make money in such ways - through favors and "graft"? They are smarter than me, sometimes I think. And then there is a bit of an ongoing argument in my head - if you can't beat 'em do you join 'em? If I'm as smart as I always thought, wouldn't I know, having recognized the effectiveness of favor and graft, be wise to learn the skill of using it myself?
And then another part of me speaks - but is that who you want to be, no - who you ARE? In order to do anything effectively, through joy - I must believe in it. And could I would I should I come to believe in accomplishment, safety, security, and joy through graft and favor?
And in the between the two voices, is this kind of area where the analysis goes on ... tipping one way and then the other, in my Libran way:)