Monday, September 18, 2023

You Sure Can Run, Baby

Why do I get up at 5:30am on a Sunday morning, drive 30 miles to run 9? What’s it all for? I have to say at some points I am not really sure. 


It’s become akin to this famous question and answer: Why do I keep hitting myself over the head with a hammer? Because it feels so good when I stop.


But I guess I still love it, though it’s getting harder and harder to do the long distances. Especially in the muggy hot weather of still-summer in Florida! 




But I did it, my first race of the season (which I also did last year and wrote about here), the Fort De Soto “Distance Classic” - 15k put together with slow 12 min miles and some walking to manage a stitch in my side. Even so, I felt better than I expected, with minimal low back & hip pain! And didn’t even realize it was Dad’s birthday until I got home and saw my sibs’ texts. 


Here’s to you Dad, I hope you are running and hiking and fishing and living it up in Heaven! We still miss you down here, but I am often thinking of you, especially when I go running.




No comments:

Post a Comment