Friday, October 18, 2013

Much Better to Be The Leaver Than the Left

I had my last day today at HPS - HealthPlan Services - and I couldn't be happier to leave it.  On my own terms.  

They often say, you don't know what you have until it's gone.  And I have experienced that myself in the past (witness my feelings about NM, after I left!), and so I don't take leaving lightly.  But I don't think I'll feel that this time.  Not by a long shot!

Because more layoffs are coming, you can feel it like a tremor in the earth signifying earthquake...or aftershock.  Because the first schism happened a while ago with the first round of layoffs, and then the second, almost two months ago, and forgive me if I don't want to be around for the third.

I was mostly honest in my exit interview today but I don't think they want to hear it.  The current leadership takes that "flattened earth" approach and so they will devastate whatever they need to for the bottom line.  I think I'm lucky to get out with my skin alive!

Not to make it all sound so Armageddon, but you know, these things do feel dramatic sometimes.  And personal.  :)

And so, I quote Kurt Vonnegut and add my own little poetic twist:
“Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, 'It might have been.'”
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/98330-of-all-the-words-of-mice-and-men-the-saddest
If must-needs be
and can be deft
much better to be the Leaver
than the Left

No comments:

Post a Comment