Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Pretty Feet


I have pretty feet.
It's not my fault
nor my achievement.
I may have been born
with them.

I have a husband
who likes my pretty feet
and various other
parts of my body.

It's my body
but it's not my fault
nor my achievement.
I was born with it.

I have a husband
who likes my mind
and various other
parts of my personality.

It's my mind, my choices
and it's my fault
and my achievement.
I made it what it is.

I have a husband
who has a son
and various other
kinds of baggage.

I have a bank account
it's my money
and my choices
and it's my fault.

I should never have
taken on a man
with a child.

I should have never
let it go this far.

I have a life
a body
pretty feet
and all these
choices.

Song that helped inspire the poem, at least in part ~
Put Your Pretty Dress On
by Rosie Thomas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMxwyBBywc
Blog post with full lyrics: http://www.yousurecantalkbaby.blogspot.com/2012_05_01_archive.html


2 comments:

  1. Great combination of metaphor (I think) and your current life situation. I'm looking forward to hearing the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rich! My constant reader and partner in greatness :)

    ReplyDelete