A 1993 movie by that name once meant a lot to me ~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_%281993_film%29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5jBa4LzxQ
I watched it when it first came out and loved it...loved especially the music, discovering something new. To a person practically foreign to all classical music or opera or anything truly cultured (yes, I blame my parents), it was AMAZING.
It captivated me, I was overwhelmed, and completely taken - emotionally - by the music of Gorecki ~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._3_%28G%C3%B3recki%29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNfQ4ok8EY
I had this music in my head, sang or hummed it under my breath, and in my heart I was holding onto it while I was barely hanging on to myself - so deathly afraid of the future - but carried on as if I wasn't. This was my wonderful & awful final college semester (Spring, 1994).
Dramatic time that it was, this melody felt right to me. Or perhaps I was just drunk a lot during that time, and over thinking everything. :)
Either way, I still remember that time with this music and the wonderful movie that embodied it for me.
But also, one of the major things this song/movie brings up for me is my father - how he died so young, and so suddenly (http://www.yousurecantalkbaby.blogspot.com/2009/07/day-music-died-part-one.html), how I showed this movie to David (boyfriend at the time, husband now), and cried and cried, and how he understood, didn't think there was anything strange about my behavior or wrong with me.
That is probably when I *knew* (I knew like you know about a good melon ~ quote from another great movie - "When Harry Met Sally").
So I could tell anyone if they should ask "how do you know when to trust someone with your heart?" How do you know when to be "Fearless" in that way?
I would say, when you can watch a movie about a guy who almost dies in a plane crash but he lives and you're crying about your dad who died, and it makes no sense but that person you're with holds you and doesn't talk or question but just witnesses your grief, smoothing hair off your face, while you maybe hiccup a bit and are a snotty mess.
Yes, true love does look something like that. :)
Friday, May 10, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It reminds me of watching My Girl with someone years ago. It really hit me... I cried and couldn't stop. My friend just held me. It was when I finally let go of a friend who had died years before.
ReplyDeleteLet's all let go! Our griefs are sacred though, and we must honor them. We hold them somewhere in our heart/brain always, no matter how we let go....
ReplyDeleteOh Michele this is so raw...so beautiful and so powerful. I truly understand how some music just SITS with you...holds you.....grounds you. And as I learn more about vibrations and resonance I get it. It makes sense. Some of it just reconnects you when you have fallen all apart. There are a few songs that have done that to me before..King Creosote "And the racket they made" is one for me. It literally pierces me and as I like to say.....breaks my heart beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate you so much for all that you say! I feel understood...and to understand you better I am listening to this right now ~ King Creosote "And the racket they made" - Love you Girl!
ReplyDelete