It doesn't help that everything I seem to want to do costs money (as my husband generously points out). We have modified our spending habits considerably - I mean, we aren't idiots - but maybe not as much as we should have by now. But life is expensive, you know? At least while we are living in a city, buying groceries and still paying a not-inconsequential mortgage. The whole point of Panama was always the low cost-of-living but we just can't seem to get there yet!
So, I'm trying to think of creative ideas for making money and yet not return to the cube and pantyhose I loathe. One of my ideas is for when we get to Florida - "Shelley and Dave's De-cluttering Services." The name is kind of an inside joke, because we are so not that couple. But it really could be perfect, I think, because it leverages what we've learned from reducing our possessions to practically nothing, including the best places to sell stuff, whether it be online or in person (taking things to antique malls and consignment shops). Just yesterday we had a garage sale and made $100 selling our crap that we were just going to take to Goodwill anyway.
And you gotta figure there's lots of elderly down in Florida wanting to reduce, whether because they need the money, or because they know their time on the planet is up soon, and don't want to burden their families with the cleanup effort afterward. Isn't everyone so equanimous and rationally thinking when it comes to their own demise? :)
David wasn't enthused, he said that their families would think we were taking advantage, and also that a lot of older people are notorious for hanging onto things. But that's precisely where I think I could really add something special to the "services" of our new proposed company. I would approach it as part psychotherapy and part really good friend who knows how to listen: flash to me at the kitchen table with "Millie" telling her gently "I know you want to hang onto
I could cheerfully tell Millie, or her husband Milton, that one way to de-clutter and hang onto memories at the same time is to scan into the computer (which David would help buy and set up for them, if they didn't have one) that article about the wedding of the mayor's daughter that Millie attended. "Look there it is on your desktop, you can revisit that special occasion whenever you want and still get rid of the newspaper clipping you've kept for the last 30 years!"
Everyone wins right?
Right. Well, that's a Florida idea but we are still stuck here in Milwaukee for the time being. (Have I mentioned yet, that our beautiful "priced-to-sell" duplex is just not selling?! It totally perplexes me but then everyone just sez "oh you know, it's a bad market" - yah sure, we know that now and only wish to god we had sold 2 years earlier, but we didn't.)
So my idea for Milwaukee, should we stay long enough and I get on the stick about it, is another type of service. Enter "Shelley's Babysitting Services" and here's the flyer I've drawn up in my head, so far:
I am a 37 year old professional woman between jobs. Have no children of my own, but grew up babysitting, taking care of younger siblings, was a nanny during high school, and often filled in at my mother's in-home day-care center in Seattle, WA. I guess you could say that caring for children runs in the family! I have very flexible hours so think of me for your next last-minute date night, surprise meeting you just have to attend at work, or any other babysitting emergency. As an added bonus, I'm currently teaching myself Spanish and would love to do some fun learning activities with your children to help them acquire this beautiful language too!
I would probably need to get 1st Aid-CPR Certified again, or whatever (which I'm currently looking into), but the question I am asking my loyal blog followers (all 5 of you) is: would you hire this woman?! And do you think parents would actually pay more for an adult, versus a teenager, especially one who doubles as an uncertified Spanish tutor? Looking for any and all constructive feedback or even other creative ideas for making money, thanks! (And, also - thank you so much for reading my blog, everyone!)

I would definitely hire this woman! What fer? I dunno! I think the Florida idea, as much as it appeals to a sense of order, is also an uphill battle. Maybe you could start with a housecleaning and/or organizational service and see if you like that. Parting older people with their stuff can fall apart so easily. People want to hang onto stuff that has no value for no rational reason, and the emotional reasons are well-entrenched. And they get more intense when someone tries to pry it away, from my experience. Plus family members usually feel differently about it--one person may hire you to do it while another fights you tooth and nail. But that's just my dour opinion. Perhaps you have hit on a niche industry that nobody is brave enough to conquer yet!
ReplyDeleteWhat kinds of people do you most like to spend time with? Kids? Animals? (Oh, they're not people?) Teens, folks our age, folks our parents' age, or older? Do you like making stuff look nice? Do you like a lot of talking during your workday? I wish I had more answers than questions! I want to help. :)
No, the questions help, they really do so thanks! The trouble is I get indecisive and can't make up my mind...but I'm reading a really good book that's helping me a bit right now, called _The Anti-9-5 Guide_ by a Seattle author no less! (Heidi sent it to me).
ReplyDeletePart of the problem is setting anything up now, when we are hopefully leaving so soon, so maybe I will try the babysitting-thing in Florida (do they even have children down there?) or see if I could work with Animals (so much nicer than I lot of people, sometimes). Or even wait till we get to Panama and start our internet cafe business.
But we just sold our mattress and the rest of our bedroom furniture is next, so in the meantime we do have some cash coming in, don't worry, it's not like we're eating out of garbage cans quite yet. And I will just keep doing meditation to control the anxiety and also tell myself this free-time I've had is worth everything, because it really is...
Thanks for reading and writing on here - I feel like I'm in better touch with you than ever because of it!
I know Michelle Goodman, who wrote that book! I have her 2nd book too, about freelancing. What a great gift from Heidi. They have the same publisher, I think.
ReplyDeleteHere's a gal who does something cool that might interest you, along the lines of what you were talking about:
http://fromcluttertocalm.com/
It is fun being in touch with you here! :)
Re: babysitting & "would parents pay more for an adult?"
ReplyDelete*I* would pay more (but I might be the exception rather than the rule). Teenagers & preteens can be CHEAP, so when I say "more", I don't know if even a high babysitter's wage would even be of interest to you, Michele.
I was thinking about charging $10 and this site sez the range is $6-12 so I may be on target, although others' comments reveal that many pay/charge a lot less.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.connectingmoms.com/members/forums/posts.php?parent=100252
Maybe being in the fancy "North Shore" area means I could get my desired rate? Not sure...but I do know that I really appreciate you weighing in Erin-ee! Miss you.