When I Was a Boy I won't forget when Peter Pan/came to my house took my hand
I said a was a boy/
I'm glad he didn't check
I learned to fly/I learned to fight/I lived a whole life in one night
we saved each others' lives out on the pirate deck
and I remember that night when/
leaving a late night with some friends
and I hear somebody tell me it's not safe/
someone should help me
you need to find a nice man to walk me home
When I was a boy/I scared the pants off of my mom
climbed what I could climb upon
and I don't know how I survived/I guess I knew the tricks that all boys knew
and you can walk me home/but I was a boy too....
I was a kid that you would like/just a small boy on her bike
riding topless yeah I never cared who saw
a neighbor came outside to say/get your shirt/I said no way
it's the last time I'm not breaking any law
now I'm in this clothing store/and the signs say less is more
more that's tight means more to see/more for them, not more for me
that can't help me climb a tree in ten seconds flat
When I was a boy/see that picture that was me
grass-stained shirt and dusty knees
and I know things have gotta change/they got pills to sell
they got implants to put in/
they got implants to remove
but I am not forgetting/that I was a boy too...
I like the woods where I would creep/it's a secret I can keep
except when I'm tired/
'cept when I'm being caught off-guard
I've had a lonesome awful day/
conversation finds its way
to catching fireflies out in the backyard
and so I tell the man I'm with/
about the other life I've lived
and I say now you're top gun/I have lost and you have won
and he says oh no, no, no can't you see
When I was a girl/my mom and I we always talked
I picked flowers everywhere that I walked
and I could always cry/now even when I'm alone, I seldom do...
And I have lost some kindness/but I was a girl too
and you were just like me/and I was just like you
~Dar Williams

No comments:
Post a Comment