
When my parents were younger than me and had a lot less money, they did an incredible thing: they packed up everything they owned into a blue Volkswagen bus and drove, with their kids (a two-year old me and my five-year old brother Dave, not to be confused with David, my husband), and another couple with their 2 children, roughly the same ages (Heidi and Johnny).
They drove from Los Angeles, CA - where the two couples had met in UCLA married-housing, location of my father apparently giving up on his dream of being a professor, because no one was hiring white men doing African History any more, and the dissertation was too hard to complete while working to feed a family - to Seattle, WA to start a Catholic Worker House.
http://www.catholicworker.org/historytext.cfm?Number=4
Growing up, I took it for granted that my parents had done this sort-of weird thing, in their mythical hippy past, back when they didn't have wrinkles or IRAs and probably smoked something called "grass" - but now I'm amazed by it, what bravery it must have taken, what faith and belief that they really could change the world with their actions.
I wish I could have witnessed the conversations leading up to their decision, how they planned it all out, or didn't - maybe they just went? What were they thinking though, as they left L.A., what did they think as they drove all that way on Interstate Highway 5 to Seattle, how were they imagining this was going to work out for their young families, did they think that if it went bust oh well, we have time to figure out some alternative? Legend has it that I pulled poor Heidi's hair the whole trip up there - between that and whatever else four young kids can dish out, plus the usual road-trip frustrations, I don't know how they made it.
They arrived late-summer 1974, in pre-Microsoft Seattle, before a Starbucks on every corner and McMansions springing up in the ever-expanding suburbs. I picture it all pioneer-rough, the air smelling of salt from the still pristine Puget Sound, with way more trees and overall "green space" than exists now. When the guys at Pike Place Market threw fish because it was just what they did, not because tourists stopped and took photos, or anyone had written about it for a business book parable. A new place, and one hospitable to young people with ideals and the energy to make the much-talked-about actually happen. But admittedly, some or all of this could be my own romanticization of the past...
In any case, with some help from the local Jesuit parish, they found a large house in what was, at that time, a slightly marginal section of the Capitol Hill neighborhood. There they created Pacem in Terris ("peace on earth" in Latin), envisioned as a "house of hospitality" for the hungry, the poor, the sick and lame, for battered women and their children, for those down on their luck and even just the lonely who wanted to serve; "what Jesus would do" for people, if he were alive and owned a house, basically.
And a soup kitchen in downtown Seattle, called the “Family Kitchen” was soon to follow. There are photos of me having my third birthday party there, standing up on a chair with ice cream on my face and cake in my hair, grinning without restraint, among Seattle's homeless. I don't remember much, not the peace protests or strange transient men or communal masses, but I remember drinking powdered milk (it was awful), and the produce from their dumpster diving, gathering fruit flies in the room off the kitchen (kind of awful also, but it was cheap and therefore fit the mission).
But it wasn't sustainable, at least not for my family, or not for my father. We moved out after about a year, to rent a house a few blocks away that my parents eventually bought and in which my mother still lives. I don't know why we left exactly but it may have had something to do with what's mentioned in this excerpt from a 1974 Seattle Times article -
"The Ray-Keils and the Hirnings decided to pool their resources and try communal living in Seattle, on Capitol Hill. They freely admit the still young experiment has not been all roses. 'The thing is that Larry and Alice have moved a lot further from consumerism or middle class lifestyle than I have.' Paul said. 'Intellectually, I’ve reached the same conclusions they have, but I’m finding it a lot harder to adapt my life.'"
He went on to talk about how hard vegetarianism was for him, how he couldn’t give up meat, but I think it was more than that. I think it was a lot of things I would love to be able to ask him about now, but mostly I think it's like my friend Heidi (still my friend, despite all the hair-pulling) says:
...here you are, thinking in some ways that quitting your job and looking for a new better way to live is giving your dad the F- you, or defying him, or letting him down somehow – but really, you’re living the life he couldn’t maintain. One he could intellectualize but couldn't risk committing fully to. The life he wanted when he had young children and he was dreaming of the future and wanted to make it right for you.
Don't know what my life would have been like, had my family stuck it out at Pacem in Terris. Heidi has her own story to tell, as part of the family that stayed, but we were the family that started it and then went away. Even so, I love and admire my parents for trying, for doing something incredible with their lives, that I get to inherit, and fully appreciate now. As Heidi also remarked -
Maybe they didn’t make huge change in the world like they tried. Maybe there is still injustice, and war and nuclear weapons and overwhelming poverty. But the one thing they certainly changed was who we are. Maybe that’s the real change they accomplished, and what they should be most proud of, in some ways. That's the you that's willing to give yourself to this new life -- and not let fear stop you.
**********************************************************************
The Catholic Worker movement has a long and illustrious history which this post can't hope to encompass, see links below for general info, but in terms of the specific Catholic Worker house I experienced, this was all I could find online (a very cursory search):
http://www.pieandcoffee.org/2005/06/09/catholic-workers-of-the-pacific-northwest/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Worker_Movement
http://www.catholicworker.com/
http://www.catholicworker.org/communities/volunteers.cfm
http://lacatholicworker.org/
http://www.occatholicworker.org/
http://karenhousecw.org/
http://www.geocities.com/casa_maria_worker/

Wow... just, wow. You and Heidi really nailed it. As someone who was a little older and remembers a bit more of those Pacem in Terris days... well, I don't think there's a lot to add. You got it right.
ReplyDeleteI totally admire what Dad, Mom, Larry, and Alice did. In some ways, I don't think they really truly thought they were going to change the world, just as I don't think my activism is going to change the world. I think they just wanted to help, to give their time, money, and energy toward something greater than themselves and their families. To live out the words and lessons of Jesus, who ultimately was someone who sacrificed for the powerless, the diseased and lame, the less fortunate. I think that's what the offspring from the Pacem "experiment" took with them, and it's why we care about all the injustice and problems in this world, not just about our 401Ks and our new car or boat or house....
Finally, I should note that one of my best friends today was once a little boy whose battered mother fetched up at Pacem 35 years ago. He's a great guy, a successful family man, the kind of person who would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. Without Pacem, who knows what might have happened to him? So it made a difference. In many ways, it has made a big difference.
michele-
ReplyDeleteanother amazing article! i was wondering if you'd tried Helium.com ?
it's a website that lets you do journalism/creative writing/ etc. and earn money... some people really cash in! i thought since you've been doing the blog you should think about Helium... you can find me under the author name Charlotte Sometimes (yes, from the cure song!).
xoxo
lex
Dave, I was totally thinking of Dan and Lily, when I wrote the bit about battered women and their kids coming to Pacem! And I thought of how mom and dad took them in when their mother was thrown in jail for peace protesting at the Trident submarine base...a story deserving it's own post, but I think you are completely right - it did make a big difference! Thanks for your comments, you know, when your big brother sez "you nailed it" tha
ReplyDeleteTrident protests! That brings back memories! Hey, maybe your mom & brother remember the days when the gay pride parade was a political march on city hall? I did that w/my mom in '79 or '80, I think--I remember talking about it at show & tell afterwards! Totally Seattle. Thanks for sharing this--ANOTHER thing I didn't know about your family, much less Heidi's. I had no idea your friendship went back that far.
ReplyDeleteThat Times article sounds really cool. I'd like to read it.
Speaking of nostalgia, on a totally different angle/decade, I'm watching the VH1 top 100 hits of the '90s. It's AWESOME.
Luminous stuff Michele...I loved reading about the things your parents did back then...details that were always a bit fuzzy to me.
ReplyDeletePerhaps their pioneering has been the inspiration to your wanderlust....your need to deviate from the norm and live a life that makes your heart happy.
Maybe if they had never been so brave...it would be harder to visualize the concepts you have now.
And maybe it's the spirit of your parents is what resonates so deeply with your own...and helps you connect with that which you know will make you happy.
I'm so proud of you and your words and your soulful soul :)
Wow! This explains a lot, Michele! I never knew about your parents' early years, and how deep your roots go to avoid the stuff of corporate America. And yes, I think you and David are opting for a piece of their dream, though it really is your own. It takes a whole lot of courage to come face to face with who you are and where you've come from, and more than a bit of defiance to stay true to what you discover in the face of a cynical world. But you are totally on the road. A poem for you:
ReplyDeleteThe longest journey you will travel is from your head to your heart.
Leave fear behind, carry hope in your pocket and a light in your eye.
Find the trail of your passion and follow it to the edge of possibility.
Embrace what comes to you -- the dark and the light, but beauty and the terror, the child the woman and the man.
When you arrive you will be where you began--only then you will know it.
It is a journey without distance.