Wednesday, January 15, 2025

The (Ex)Boyfriend Race, in Baton Rouge, Lousiania!

Many years ago my Mod Vespa-driving drummer boyfriend gave me this poster of a band he was very much into, among others. It hung on the wall of my teenage bedroom, and continued to hang there when the room was gleefully claimed by my younger sister, shortly after I went to college.




Somewhere along the line, she got the poster framed and it moved to Texas with her. Recently she decided she didn’t have space for it on the walls of her new house, and so she became fixated on giving it back to me. Not wanting to ship it as is, or dismantle to send, we concocted a reason to meet half way between our homes: enter the Lousiana Marathon weekend in beautiful Baton Rouge! Although we *only* do the half-marathon. We call it (or I am calling it now) the ex-boyfriend race since we owe it all to him.



We actually did this last year, along with my sister’s husband (his very first half marathon!) and now in a few short days we are doing it again. We had such fun last year and are only hoping we have same or similar relatively good weather this year (it was cold but very sunny, as you can see).



It was a miserable 12 hours driving to Baton Rouge and back by myself last time, so this time I’m flying; also because we have no poster to exchange this year. The whole thing got my sister back into running and my hope is we now regularly start running races like this together. We did the Rock ‘n Roll San Antonio race together in early December and I think I’ve convinced her to come down here to Florida for another half-marathon in March. 


And to think it was all started by a 30+year old poster given to me by an ex-boyfriend! I just can’t help it, this continues to tickle me.

🥸

No comments:

Post a Comment