As I started my new job on April 29th I had a phrase in my head that I shared only with David.
It was based on the fact that we were looking to relocate our lives to Tampa, because my new job was so promising, and the prospect of me making that 1+ hour commute (the + depending on traffic patterns and the all-too-frequent accidents), every day was simply untenable.
Given that Tampa is a MUCH bigger city and has a lot more going on than sleepy little Sarasota, my phrase was "We're going to The Show." As in Tampa is the Major Leagues, whereas Sarasota is - undeniably - just the Minors. Shades of "Bull Durham" (a great movie), which is where I think I first heard the phrase ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va75XqWO6sY
We talked about down-sizing from 2 bedrooms to 1, but the lure of having a whole room I could make over as my own private yoga studio (D. still wants it as his office but we'll see), was too much. So we have ourselves a great 2 BDR apartment just 3.8 miles (door-to-door) from my work. I love it.
It's on a ridiculously busy street but set back from all the hecticness so that you can still feel like you are "home" and safe, can breathe. Has a pool, like our last apartment, and much bigger nicer fitness room (which I hope to use someday). And it's gated, which is new & strange, but we are getting used to that as well.
I seriously love my new job, and so the moving is worth it. And, after MONTHS of job-hunting, David finally got something up here too. He starts his new job on 7/29 and I can't wait - not only cuz he's about doubling his income and the increase will help with expense of having two apartments for almost two months + some expenses with house we still, regretfully, own "up north."
ALSO because he really needed to find something new, something that will challenge him in new ways. My taking this job in Tampa spurred him on to find that next horizon and he can thank me later. :)
After all the horrible moving is done. He says he'll really miss Sarasota, but I can't relate, because I so love Tampa. I love everything about it, and even the traffic doesn't get me down, because I figure it's all part of the experience! Check back with me in 6 months though.
Moving is exhausting. But at least we were able to do it at a leisurely pace and without having to hire movers. We took our final loads from our old to our new apartment tonight, and we are done!
Except for we have to figure out how to get the washer/dryer set I bought for $100 from a co-worker long ago (what a great deal that turned out to be!), out to the curb or otherwise disposed of, before our actual move-out date of 7/31. When we will have to pay an "opt out" fee amounting to two months rent because of breaking our lease. A LOT of money but still worth it!!!
Worth it, because "We're going to The Show" baby.
Saturday, July 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment