American Girl ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ccVWbteps
When I was about to graduate
from college, I had no idea
what was
happening.
I didn't plan for it to end,
I was always good at school
but outside, in "the real world"
any bravery I had was a total act.
When I was young
I always thought
I'd grow up
to be a dancer,
an actress,
a singer, or a writer.
It was all so easy in the abstract.
I climbed trees and hunted treasure in garbage dumpsters.
I wanted to be a horse so I could run forever.
I never wanted to be a princess.
I had a romance with my cat (he was my first boyfriend).
I made up stories and songs that I never wrote down.
And some I did, while discovering
a new language
better than this old
one I had inherited.
When I was young
my father used to say I was ten
going on twenty-one - I was never
young enough for him
I guess.
When I was young
(I was never young)
I never thought I'd grow up
to be this: older
and sure of less.
Saturday, June 1, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment