And one of the first things they did in our training was to expose us to both the history of yoga and what it has become in today's world.
Take this video by the guys who did that "Whole Foods" song -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-8IPDR4Khc
And an interesting discussion on the commercialism of yoga, with the author of a book called Yoga Inc. (see second link below), and the director & founder of a chain of yoga studios:
Yoga Wars
And an interesting discussion on the commercialism of yoga, with the author of a book called Yoga Inc. (see second link below), and the director & founder of a chain of yoga studios:
Yoga Wars
Is it really an exercise class that pretends to do a spiritual practice and in the midst just makes a lot of money?
I hope not. Because I'm looking for it to change and heal my life in ways that I don't think step-aerobics, Jazzercise or the latest power-kick-boxing-spinning-body-pump whatever class could possibly do.
All I know for now is that I have never felt more peaceful than I do after a yoga class. I am in it for the long-haul and just can't wait to see what I discover next....

I admit that I viewed yoga as an exercise supplement. To my surprise the spiritual well being came with it. But it wasn't't like "oh wow man my eyes have opened." Rather more of a background of serenity that got stronger, almost without me consciosly noticing it.
ReplyDeleteWow Rich, thanks for reading and commenting so fast! And I didn't even know you did yoga...how long have you done it? I think that is how it works sometimes, as one of the guys in Yoga Wars says it's "more of an unfolding" and that's true for me, I didn't go yoga-crazy the first time I took a class, its power grew on me over time. Now I love it and can't imagine not doing it EVER! Happy 4th my old boss, miss you :)
ReplyDeleteFor some, it may be the former, but this is one of those things that it's all about what you bring to it. And even the people who come to the class - whether or not they connect to the spiritual side of it - they are going to find strength and relaxation and their bodies will benefit in ways they may not be aware of...so, it's all good. That was an interesting interview, I sort of related most to what the yoga center owner was saying, but they both made sense. I didn't know that stuff about Bikram either!
ReplyDeleteOh Bikram is a whole world of craziness, in terms of what it was & became and even just doing it, you experience a very different thing from other yoga classes, from what I have seen! Have you ever done it or other hot yogas? I've only done Bikram for a bit but want to try other hot yoga & I think we are going to in our teacher training one of these weekends...
ReplyDeleteI like what you say Lisa & it jibes very much with what I'm being taught right now. The leader of our YTT is always telling us how to make it accessible but also bring in the "big yoga" aspects where we can as teachers, which are meditation and some of the more spiritual ideas.
But even if someone just comes away feeling stretched and relaxed, with no idea of the More that can be had, it's all good, like you said. We all come to the deeper parts when we are ready right? Thanks for reading & commenting hon, I appreciate it!
I love this, "All I know for now is that I have never felt more peaceful than I do after a yoga class. I am in it for the long-haul ..."
ReplyDeleteI guess I think, in regards to the commercialism of yoga, two things:
A) Something akin to what I've come to think of rigorously mandated religions ... for some folks, it is actually an improvement - a beacon, a moment of light and love, etc. - from where they were at before they encountered it. So, no matter how commercial, it can add sincerely significant value - a welcome next step on a ladder toward, what to me is "light".
B) It's like that song from the Carousel of Time in old-school Disney World, "Now is the time, now is the BEST time, now is the BEST TIME of your life. Life is so short, live every minute ... you get out of life, what you put in it." Meaning, for me, yoga is what the instructor and students make of it. Yoga is dear to me, it's the physical metaphor I needed (I say, as an "Aspergerian"), I needed to understand how to be "at" your limits, and sit there, breathing into them, allowing this "creative stretching" and expansion to occur. Yoga allowed me to experience this in a physical sense, so I could then apply it elsewhere in a metaphorical sense. Yoga (and, for me, most often practiced in a commercial gym, which happens to not eschew the spiritual aspect), has allowed me to slough off really toxic feelings after long, stressful days. To come back to the beauty and strength of my body. To remember how to "spring anew" by releasing resistance and allowing good-feeling energy to flow into me, even in the toughest of moments in life.
I love yoga. But I do think it's what we allow ourselves to make of it. There is no stamp that makes it commercial or otherwise, just the heart the teacher brings, when she or he "holds the space" for the class to occur, and what the students then choose to feel inspired to allow.
I so love that you are doing this. For yourself, and for whomever you may share your new-found expertise with!
Love,
C
I love what you say C - "to slough off really toxic feelings after long, stressful days. To come back to the beauty and strength of my body. To remember how to "spring anew" by releasing resistance and allowing good-feeling energy to flow into me, even in the toughest of moments in life." You put it more beautifully than I ever could and for that I thank you!!
ReplyDeleteI only hope to someday be that kind of teacher who can do what you describe! I feel I am on my way and only have to believe it is possible for me to become that, one day. I so appreciate that you are behind me in this hon, thank you!
M
Michelle, I'm proud of you for doing the teacher training. Next year if we see you on vacation you can be my yoga teacher. That would be awesome!!! Terah
ReplyDeleteThat sounds great Terah, thanks for reading and commenting! I do hope to see you and TH on vacation next year, that would be great, we can do yoga on the beach, I love the image!! :)
ReplyDelete