Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Problem

Another Graduate school-era poem, written somewhere in years 1995-1996

the problem is not 
in the time 
for there is plenty 
of that 

no lack of days 
spent 
with books and pens
notebooks to be filled 
the mind eager 
bent to the task 
it loves the long sweet still 
consumption of 
lingering texts 
and lives at wide desks 
in library-silence 

no lack of nights 
lying there like paper 
with eyes wide-awake and lined 
to precision, the body 
folded, unquiet, largely alone 
and inelegant: stealing words from 
pillowed space, it hogs clichéd 
covers from the tossing-turning 
other shoulder, when I really should 
just shut my mind and 
maybe "take a lover" 

this abundant time 
is wrecklessly spent 
when body/mind becomes 
wildly aroused under 
heavy blankets, and 
there's no lack 
of inspiration but - 
I find my energy all used up 
with no thing created 
out of that all that crazy 
literary heat and friction 

the problem is the laziness 
and it all ends up being wasted 
the images lost to dreaming 
the ideas yield no precise 
paper production 
the problem is the giving-in 
to words that are eventually 
recorded,  my too-easy personal 
story, the whining 
and trite, cloying 
emotion 

the problem is the undisciplined 
days and nights of 
hedonism, the desire for it to be quick 
and easy like masturbation, how the 
mind & body love immediate gratification 
and in my covetous hurry the paper sinks 
into profligate time when I'm so tired and 
heavy (like Hemingway) I can barely lift the pen 
to describe things that should not be recorded 

the problem is that the greedy soul 
goes seeking poems in these excesses 
as if it can obscure an almost willful 
ignorance: as if I don't quite know how 
I got here, or even how I got 
an English Degree (from a really good college!) 
without reading Moby Dick? 

the problem is in the soul 
which tries to hide my lack 
with smoke-screen of so many 
cigarettes at the bar, as if my words 
will be more beautiful for the bottles 
the varied colors, shapes and sizes of glass 
as if I could somehow reflect myself ten times 
the size I usually am (since no one else will do it) 

as if in harsh morning light there isn't always 
glinting, grinning shards to rub against a tired 
paper body, saying: you drunk fool, 
to think that you could ever write!

1 comment:

  1. I love the imagery in this. It is used well to capture someone who is very conflicted; a tortured soul.

    ReplyDelete