Grey's Anatomy inspires me to write on this subject again.
It was another powerful season-ending finale and I had a lot of feelings while watching it, but interestingly one of them was ANGER. I couldn't help but flash back to when I found out about the sudden death of my father, years ago (for details read http://yousurecantalkbaby.blogspot.com/2009/07/day-music-died-part-one.html).
There was no staff of concerned-looking doctors (and they are all so attractive aren't they, so pretty, it's amazing!) ready to take me to a "grief room" to break the news gently, there was no world-renowned grief counselor on hand to help me, there was no other people in a waiting room to share the experience with, there was no free coffee!!
So, not entirely sure what THAT is about except maybe after recently posting my "Daddy" poems I'm still processing some level of grief, and still mad at him for dying or just how it happened. Whatever, I'll get over it but I had to share cuz it was that powerful.
Still I loved this episode, the moment when the woman stands up to her husband urging her to leave & says "I would like to stay." And the moment when the distraught woman with the daughter in surgery says "that's incredible" about the people who stayed in the waiting room to pull for her daughter, the one survivor, the "unaccompanied minor" from the plane crash.
http://www.greyswriters.com/2011/05/debora-cahn-on-unaccompanied-minor.html
What some humans will do for another person, it's as beautiful as the shiny shiny people who are the doctors on this show.
And I loved when Meredith says "I am going to get it together and we are gonna figure it out" - her bravery in the face of being alone with her new baby for the first time, being totally responsible for Zola all by herself, just wow. (I'd be completely terrified.)
And what he says to her about being a bad mother - frickin Derek, what the hell?! The writers have to do it for drama, I get that, but what she did is no reason to leave her like that.
I would love to write for Grey's Anatomy but have no idea what I would invent for these characters. Better just to watch and feel whatever feelings I have, I guess. :)
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You know, my thought when I saw all the doctors lined up to "break the news" was ... really? They have doctors do that? Wouldn't, like, social workers or therapists of some form be better at "grief handling"?
ReplyDeleteI think you should totally write for TV - even Grey's Anatomy. I think you could totally do it!!
P.S. "Something Spiritual" is me - Christie. I didn't think it would link like that!
ReplyDelete